All about dogs booklist
FICTION BOOKS ABOUT PETS
Compiled by D. Bastacky 4/2014
Picture books up to Third Grade
- Graham. Let’s Get a Pup! Said Kate
- Rand. Little Flower
- Demas. Saying Goodbye to Lulu
- Boase. Lucky Boy
- Crisp. Titanicat
- Davis. Brian’s Bird
- Furstinger, N. Maggie’s Second Chance: a gentle dog’s rescue
- Kearney, M. Trouper
- Mader, C.R. Lost Cat
- O’Connor. Finding Susie
- Slater T. Smooch Your Pooch
Easy Reader and Short Chapter Books
- Anderson, L H. Vet Volunteers Series. Book 1: Fight for Life. When Maggie learns that the abused and sick puppies flooding her grandmother’s clinic are from an illegal puppy mill, she knows that she has to find out who’s running it, where it is—and save the rest of the dogs!
- Clements, A. Pets to the Rescue (series) Brave Norman (and others)
- Cox, J. Puppy Power
- Gallagher, D. Pet Friends Forever (series) The Great Kitten Challenge (and others)
- Grogan, J. Marley (the dog) books
- Haas, J. Bramble and Maggie
- Hesse, K. Sable 10 yr. old Tate’s greatest wish is to keep the starving mutt that has strayed into her family’s yard.
- Howe, J. Pinky and Rex and the Just-Right Pet Pinky’s family votes and gets a new pet.
- Howe, Peter. Waggit’s Tail An abandoned puppy searches for a home, at first, living in Central Park with a pack of wild dogs. When he is picked up by Animal Control,.he discovers what it’s like to be treated kindly by a human. Has two sequels.
- Ibbotson, E. One Dog and His Boy
- Jennings, P. Guinea Dog (1,2 and 3) When his mother brings home a guinea pig, instead of the dog he has always wanted, Rufus is not happy – until the rodent starts acting like a dog.
- Klein, Abby. Stop That Hamster (Ready Freddy series)
- Lee, Ingrid. Dog Lost The heroic story of a sweet, loyal pit bull pup that defies expectations and her breed’s reputation to save the day–and the boy she loves!
- Martha Speaks (series) Shelter Dog Blues and others
- McKay, H. Lulu and the Dog from the Sea
- Miles, E. Puppy Place Series Goldie (and others)
- Orr, W. Rainbow Street Shelter (series) Missing! A Cat Called Buster (and others) After his pet rabbit dies, Josh feels sad and does not want to own another pet until an elderly neighbor’s cat goes missing.
- Osborne, M. Magic Tree House #46: Dogs in the Dead of Night
- Parish, P. Scruffy Todd chooses a cat from the animal shelter for his birthday present.
- Pomerantz, C. The Outside Dog
- Preller, J. (Jigsaw Jones Mystery series) The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster
- Rylant, C. Henry and Mudge; Comical series about a boy and his 180 pound dog.
- Rylant, C. Mr. Putter and Tabby Delightful series about a man and his cat.
- Roy, R. The Canary Caper (A-Z Mysteries series) Dink and his friends investigate why pets, like Mrs. Davis’s canary, Mozart, are mysteriously disappearing all over town.
- Rylant, C. Henry and Mudge; Comical series about a boy and his 180 pound dog.
- Mr. Putter and Tabby Delightful series about a man and his cat.
- Stern, AJ. Doggy Day Care (Frankly, Frannie series) When Frannie notices her aunt’s dog limping, she sees it as her big break to be a vet, so it’s off to the veterinarian’s office, where she can showcase her doggy-diagnostic skills. But in true Frannie form, all she can pull off is a doggy disaster . . .
- Viorst, J. Lulu Walks the Dogs
- Winkler, H. A. Tale of Two Tails and Here’s Hank: A Short Tale about a Long Dog
Longer Chapter Books
- Barrow, R. Saving ZashaIn 1945 Russia, those who own German Shepherds are considered traitors, but 13-year-old Mikhail and his family are determined to keep the dog a dying man brought them, while his rival, Katia, strives to expose his secret.
- Boelts, M. The PS Brothers
- Collard, S. Dog Sense 13 yr. old Guy adjusts to a new home and learns to deal with a bully, with the help of his Frisbee-catching dog, Streak.
- Creech, S. Love That Dog Jack learns to love poetry by writing about his memories of his beloved dog, and his profound grief over the dog’s death.
- DiCamillo, K. Because of Winn Dixie Ten-year-old India describes her first summer in the town of Naomi, Florida, and all the good things that happen to her because of her big ugly dog Winn-Dixie.
- Edwards, N. Dog Whisperer Series: The Rescue
- Herlong, M.H. Buddy 12-year-old Li’l T and his family face great losses caused by Hurricane Katrina, including leaving Buddy, their very special rescue dog, behind when they must evacuate.
- Kadohata, C. Cracker: The Best Dog in Vietnam A young soldier in Vietnam bonds with his bomb-sniffing dog
- Kehret, P. Cages Working at the Humane Society helps Kit, 14 come to terms with some of her personal problems and to develop an appreciation for animals as well. Title has a double meaning in this very realistic book.
- Lubar, D. Dog Days When the price of dog food rises and the price paid for scrap falls, Larry has to find a new way to feed his dogs and try to help the dog from the alley.
- MacLachlan, Patricia. White Fur Flying
- Martin, A. Dog’s Life: The Autobiography of a Stray Squirrel, a stray puppy, tells her life story, from her nurturing mother and brother to making her own way in the world, facing busy highways, changing seasons, and humans both gentle and brutal.
- Martin, A. Everything For a Dog. Sequel to A Dog’s Life (previous entry)
- Tolan, S. Listen! During her solitary convalescence from a crippling accident, twelve-year-old Charley finds a wild dog, and the arduous process of socializing him leads her to explore her feelings about her mother’s death two years earlier.
- Nelson, J. Labracadabra
- Paley, J. Hooper Finds a Family: a Hurricane Katrina Dog’s Survival Tale Told from the puppy’s point of view. Describes how he was separated from his family during Hurricane Katrina, was rescued, and tried to fit in with a new family. Moving tale of adventure and triumph, based on a true story.
- Perl, E. When Life Gives You OJ
- Seidler, Tor. Gully’s Travels. Behrens, A.The Fast and the Furriest. 12-year-old Kevin’s planned summer of loafing and gaming changes when he and Cromwell enter dog agility classes and competitions, which have an unforeseen result on Kevin’s own athleticism and self-esteem.
- Selfors, S. Smells Like Dog
Nonfiction Books for Middle Readers (8-13 years old)
- Baines, Rebecca. National Geographic Kids Everything Dogs (all the canine facts, photos and fun you can get your paws on)
- Bial, Rebecca. Rescuing Rover: Saving America’s Dogs. Comprehensive book about the mistreatment of dogs and the organizations who save them
- Cinotto, Laurie. Itty Bitty Kitty Committee
- Engle, Margarita. When You Wander: A search-and-rescue dog story (2013)(4-8)
- George, J. How To Talk to Your Dog; How To Talk to Your Cat
- Grogan, John. Marley: A Dog Like No Other Child’s version of the adult bestseller, Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World’s Worse Dog
- Gagne, Tammy. Dog care : feeding your pup a healthy diet and other dog care tips
- Grogan, J. Marley: A Dog Like No Other (ages 9-12)
- Herriot, James. James Herriot’s Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children
- How to Convince Your Parent (series) Care for a Pet Mouse (chameleon, ferret, etc…)
- Jackson, Donna. Hero Dogs: Courageous Canines in Action and ER Vets: Life in an Animal; Emergency Room (for older children)
- Jeffrey, Laura. American Human Association Series Choosing a Cat (dog, horse, etc..)
- Kalman, B. Veterinarians Help Keep Animals Healthy
- Kehret, Peg. Animals Welcome: A Life in Reading, Writing and Rescue
- Kehret, Peg. Shelter Dogs: Amazing Stories of Adopted Strays
- Markle, Sandra. Animal Heroes: True Rescue Stories
- Osborne, M. Dog Heroes: A Nonfiction Companion to Magic Tree House #46: Dogs in the Dead of Night
- Patent, D.H. Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance (one of the dogs Michael Vick used for fighting)
- Paulsen, Gary. My Life in Dog Years
- Pelar, Colleen: Puppy Training for Kids: Teaching children the responsibilities and joys of puppy care, training and companionship
- Rosen, Michael. My Dog!: A Kids’ Guide to Keeping a Happy and Healthy Pet
- Top Ten for Kids (series) Top Ten Fish (dogs, cats, birds, etc…)
- Turner, P. Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog
- Cleary; Ribsy (dog); Socks (cat) (read aloud)
- Estes, G. Ginger Pye (read aloud) The disappearance of a new puppy named Ginger and the appearance of a mysterious man in a mustard yellow hat bring excitement into the lives of the Pye children.
- Knight, E. Lassie Come Home A collie undertakes a 1000-mile journey in order to once again meet her former master at the school gate.
- Lofting, H. Story of Dr. Dolittle The adventures of a kind-hearted doctor, who is fond of animals and understands their language, as he travels to Africa with some of his favorite pets to cure the monkeys of a terrible sickness.
- Burnford, S. The Incredible Journey The classic story of three pets’ dangerous journey home.
- Avi. The Good Dog McKinley, a malamute, is torn between the domestic world of his human family and the wild world of Lupin, a wolf that is trying to recruit dogs to replenish the dwindling wolf pack.
- Stein, G. Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog. Based on the adult bestseller The Art of Racing in the Rain: A Novel. Told from the dog’s point of view, is the inspirational and sentimental story of how a family dog applies the rules of racing to his world, takes on his family’s challenges and emerges a hero in the end.
Websites for Kids
You’ll find videos, games, contests, stories, jokes, pet care information and much more.
- www.adogslife.com.au (see Just for Kids on the left)
- www.kindnews.org (see link of left Kind News for Kids)
- kids.cfa.org (about cats)