“Saving one pet may not change the world… but surely the world will change for that one pet!”
How Do you Adopt a PetConnect Rescue Animal?
- To be eligible to adopt one of PetConnect Rescue’s animals, you will need to be at least 21 years old.
- If you would like to learn more about one of our rescue animals, please fill out our short online application. Just click on the link to the appropriate form (dog or cat) to access the application. Completing the online application is the first step and will provide us with the initial information we need but does not obligate you in any way.
- An adoption coordinator will contact you, or you may call or email the coordinator listed for more information. Please understand that we are a predominantly volunteer-based organization; therefore, a PCR team member will contact you as soon as possible.
- If applicable, we’ll call your veterinarian to ensure that your current/previous pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and well cared for. For renters, we’ll check with your landlord to verify applicable pet policies, and if you are adopting a dog – whether there are any size or breed restrictions.
- Once you have spoken to an adoption coordinator about the pet you are interested in, and if you would like to continue with the adoption process, arrangements will be made for you to meet the pet at his or her foster home.
- After you have met the dog or cat of your choice, your home visit will be scheduled. The purpose of the home visit is to ensure that the rescue animal will be living in a safe environment, as well as to support the adoption process.PetConnect reviews applications in the order in which they are received. We focus on matching the right animal to the right family to ensure successful adoptions. Our goal is to place these wonderful pets into homes where they will be safe and loved forever. We require adopters to meet our adoptable pets in person, and therefore give preference to applicants in the metro Washington, DC area, but will consider out of area adopters on a case by case basis.
PetConnect requires an adoption fee for all of our rescued animals. The adoption fees help cover the medical, transport, supply, and other animal expenses associated with rescuing our animals. The expenses for each rescued animal almost always exceed our adoption fee for them. Please note that adoption fees are not tax-deductible. Returned Check/Chargeback Policy: Any bank fees incurred by PetConnect Rescue as a result of a returned check or chargeback of an item originally issued by an adopter will be the responsibility of that adopter to reimburse to PetConnect Rescue along with the adoption fee.
Effective January 1, 2019, PetConnect Rescue is in the process of implementing new adoption fees; therefore, as we move into the new year, you may notice some differences in fees from animal to animal during this transition period. Animals brought into foster care in 2019 will be posted following the new fee structure below. Please refer to each animal’s profile to determine the adoption fee for that animal.
- Dogs & Puppies (7 months or older): $350
- Puppies (under 7 months): $375
- Senior Dogs: $250
- Cats: $150
- Intact puppies/kittens: Additional $100 deposit (see below)
All PetConnect animals are spayed/neutered unless it is medically advisable to wait because of age or health concerns. In this instance, PetConnect requests an additional deposit of $100 which will be reimbursed with proof of spay/neuter. All PetConnect Rescue animals must be spayed or neutered to help stem the vast problem of overpopulation. All PetConnect animals are given basic vaccinations appropriate for their age.